Tue, Apr
3
2007

An Open Letter to Greg Sorbara and John Tory

Tue, Apr 3, 2007

I am compelled to write after reading this:

The Citizen’s Assembly seems poised to recommend MMP with 90 constituency seats and 39 extra seats to be divided proportionally. They are going to recommend this brand of reform, because they are convinced Ontarians want local representation (and I think they are right) and wouldn’t accept a smaller number of constituency seats. The “problem” in going this route is the extra seats. The Tories and Liberals are already running against the proposal because it adds more “politicians” (like they aren’t politicians themselves)to the legislature (John Tory and Greg Sorbara were on CBC Toronto this morning complaining). The current size of the legislature is 103 seats.

I think you should know that I have no problems with extra politicians, so long as those politicians do a better job of representing me, and this is what mixed-member proportional representation stands a good chance of doing). I am sick and tired of 40% of the vote being sufficient in granting single parties near dictatorial powers in order to govern the remaining 60%. It doesn’t matter if there are 103 members in the house, or 129, or 150. Indeed, the more representative politicians there are in Queen’s Park, the more likely I’ll have an MPP that will have time to listen to my concerns (In theory, since there are fewer constituents per MMP to take up his time).

Mr. Sorbara, you in particular should watch your language. It was your party that set up the Citizen’s Assembly, and it was your party that claimed to believe in electoral reform enough to give this assembly a mandate to examine the issue. If you thwart the work of average Ontarians, it will be your party that has to wear the stain of yet another broken promise.

Don’t stand in the way of democracy, or we’ll run over you.


Wow

Steve Munro points me to this Associated Press article about the TGV setting a new land speed record of 574.8 km/h. That’s almost six seconds per kilometre, and just a few kph shy of the 581 km/h record set by the Japanese maglev.

Such a system, if applied to Canada, could carry passengers between Toronto and Montreal in about an hour.

Mmm, I want one!


On This Day

blog comments powered by Disqus