As I've mentioned before, when writing, I create soundtrack albums. These are a selection of songs that make me think about or imagine a story I happen to be working on. They may not be from actual soundtracks. They may be popular songs. They may not relate to a particular scene in my novel, but rather to an overall tone or a character. I produced one for The Night Girl, and have probably bored my kids by playing these in the cars again and again as we travel anywhere.
But something inspired me to create a different, second playlist for The NIght Girl. The songs below, taken together, are something I could see Perpetua queueing up when she needs to let the roar out. Possibly while cleaning her apartment. The songs start strong and loud and fierce, but then modulate somewhat, until there is a cathartic release at the end.
Well, I think so. I find that I play this whenever I need to let the roar out, or when I need to clean the house. And maybe you can use it too. Here's the list:
- The Emperor's New Clothes, Sinead O'Connor - I do Not Want What I Haven't Got
- All I Really Want, Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
- Romeo and Juliet, Indigo Girls - Rites of Passage
- Atom Bomb, Fluke
- Losing My Religion, R.E.M. - Out of Time
- Vent Fou, Jorane - Vent Fou
- Blood and Fire, Indigo Girls - Indigo Girls
- Girls Like You, The Naked and Famous - Passive Me, Aggressive You
- We're Not Gonna Take it, Twisted Sister - Official Singles
- I'm Afraid of Americans (Live), David Bowie - A Reality Tour (Live)
- Love and Anger, Kate Bush - The Senual World
- Ex's & Oh's, Elle King - Love Stuff
- You Oughta Know, Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
- Orange Crush, R.E.M. - Green
- Bitch, Meredith Brooks - Blurring the Edges
- A Wider Space, Groenland - A Wider Space
- Language is a Virus, Laurie Anderson - Home of the Brave
- Little Earthquakes, Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Perpetua feels much better after that...